Surface Pro 4 is a great device, but many users reported that the Surface Pro keyboard not working for them. This can be a big problem, and today we are going to show you how to deal with this matter.
Problems with the Surface Pro Keyboard can be troublesome, and speaking of problems, here are some common problems that users reported:
- Surface laptop keyboard not working – This problem can be caused by both hardware and software problems. To test your keyboard, boot into UEFI and check if the keyboard works there.
- Surface Pro 4 Type Cover not detected, displayed in Device Manager – This issue is usually caused by drivers, so be sure to reinstall and update your keyboard drivers and see if this resolves the issue.
- The Surface Book keyboard does not work – This can occur for various reasons, but you should be able to fix the problem using one of our solutions.
Surface Pro 4 Type The cover does not work, how is it fixed?
Solution 1 – Check if Cover Type works in BIOS
According to users, you can determine if this problem is caused by your hardware or software. To do this, simply go into the BIOS of the Surface Pro 4 and check if the type cover works. To boot into the BIOS, all you have to do is press a certain key while your PC boots. This method is not always effective, but you can use it instead:
Step 1: Open the Settings app .
Step 2: When the Settings app opens , go to the Update & Security section .
Step 3: From the left menu select Recovery In the right pane, scroll down to the Advanced startup section and click Restart now .
Step 4: Now select Troubleshooting> Advanced Options> UEFI Firmware Settings . Click the Restart button .
Once the system restarts, it will automatically enter BIOS. Now check if your Type Cover works in BIOS. If it does, the problem is caused by a software problem and you can proceed to the next solution.
Solution 2 – Check the connector
This procedure is a bit advanced, and it could cause damage to your type cover, so if you’re not comfortable with it and don’t know what you’re doing, it might be best to skip this solution.
If Surface Pro 4 Type Cover is not working, there may be a problem with the connector. Some users reported a plastic bump on their type cover. According to them, they fixed the problem simply by pressing the plastic bump behind the connector.
This may sound a bit complicated, and if you don’t know how to do it, we suggest you skip this solution.
Solution 3 – Reinstall all keyboard drivers
According to users, if Surface Pro 4 Type Cover is not working, then the problem may be related to keyboard drivers. Sometimes your drivers may not be the latest or the best, and that can lead to this and many other problems.
To fix the problem, it is recommended to reinstall the keyboard drivers. This is very simple to do, and you can do it by following these steps:
Step 1: Right-click the Start button and select Device Manager from the list.
Step 2: Now, locate the keyboard driver, right-click and select Uninstall Device from the menu.
Step 3: When the confirmation menu appears, click Uninstall .
Step 4: Repeat the previous two steps for all keyboard devices.
Step 5: After you have uninstalled all keyboard drivers, click the Scan for hardware changes icon .
Now Windows will search for the missing drivers and install them. After doing this, your Surface Pro 4 Type Cover should start working again.
If you want to avoid driver problems in the future, maybe you should keep them updated. There are several ways to do it, but the best is to use software like TweakBit Driver Updater .
Downloading and installing the drivers manually can put your system at risk as you may download the wrong version of the driver. Make sure to use this tool if you are not sure which drivers you need to update.
Disclaimer: Some features of this tool are not free
Solution 4 – Disconnect the type cover and leave it overnight
We recommend this tool for various PC problems
- fix common mistakes
- protection against file loss
- consequences of malware
- correction of damaged files
- replace lost files
- hardware failures
- performance optimization
Find and fix Windows errors automatically
According to users, if your Surface Pro 4 Type Cover is not working, you may be able to temporarily fix this problem with this solution. To fix the problem, some users suggest unplugging the Type Cover from the surface and leaving it without power connection overnight.
The same goes for Surface Pro, leave it without power overnight. Once you connect the two in the morning, the Cover Type should start working smoothly again. Keep in mind that this is only a workaround, so the problem is quite likely to reoccur.
Solution 5 – Install firmware and remove problematic drivers
If Surface Pro 4 Type Cover is not working, the problem may be with firmware or drivers. To fix the problem, users suggest downloading the firmware for the version of Windows 10 you are using.
After the firmware is installed, it is recommended to remove certain devices from Device Manager. For this, follow these steps:
- Start Device Manager .
- Locate and Expand Firmware Now you will have to uninstall certain devices. Make sure to select the Delete the driver software for this device option in the confirmation dialog for each device. The devices you need to uninstall are as follows:
- Surface embedded controller firmware
- Surface system aggregator
- UEFI surface
- After removing these drivers, restart your Surface Pro.
After restarting the device, check if the problem is still there. Some users suggest downloading the latest drivers for the three devices you have removed so that you can do that too. Once the drivers are up to date, the problem should be resolved.
Solution 6 – Make sure Cover Type is enabled in UEFI
If Surface Pro 4 Type Cover is not working, maybe there is a bug in the UEFI. However, several users reported that they fixed the problem simply by disabling and re-enabling Type Coverage in UEFI. This is pretty simple to do, and you can do it by following these steps:
- Turn off the Surface Pro.
- Perform a two button reset. To do this, press and hold the Volume Up and Power buttons for 15 seconds.
- You should now see the UEFI screen. On the left side select Devices from the list.
- A list of devices will appear. Locate Type Cover in the list and disable it.
- After doing this, save the changes to UEFI and exit.
- Turn off the Surface Pro and perform the two-button reset again.
- Once you get into UEFI, go to the Devices section , locate Cover Type and enable it.
- Save changes and reboot.
After doing that, your Cover Type should start working again without any problem.
Solution 7 – Try using a Bluetooth keyboard
If you still have this problem with the Surface Pro 4 Type Cover, maybe you can try using a Bluetooth keyboard with it. This is only a temporary solution and not a long-term solution, but it should allow you to use your Surface and troubleshoot the problem more thoroughly.
Solution 8 – Reinstall Windows 10
If all other solutions failed, perhaps the only solution would be to reinstall Windows 10. This is a drastic solution, and you should use it only if other solutions did not work. Please note that this process will delete all files from the system drive, so you need to make a backup copy of them.
It’s also worth mentioning that you may need a Windows 10 installation media, so be sure to create one with the Media Creation Tool. Once you’re ready, you can reset Windows 10 by doing the following:
- Open the Advanced Start screen . To do this, follow Steps 1-3 of Solution 1 .
- A list of options will appear. Choose Troubleshoot> Restart this PC> Remove everything .
- If you are asked to insert the installation media, be sure to do so.
- Select your operating system. Go to Only the drive where Windows is installed> Just remove my files .
- A list of upcoming changes will appear. Once you review them, click the Reset button to get started.
- Now follow the instructions on the screen to complete the process.
After the reset is complete, check if the problem is still there. If the problem persists, perhaps you should consider doing a clean install.
If Surface Pro 4 Type Cover is not working, it can be a big problem, but we hope you can fix it with one of our solutions.