IDM, or Internet Download Manager, is software that integrates with Chrome, Firefox, and other web browsers. This handy tool can increase your download speed several times, but it also allows you to schedule, pause, and resume downloads. Once you’ve integrated it into your favorite web browser, you won’t be able to go back to the default download manager.
Although it supports proxy servers, firewalls, redirection, cookies, and many other online tools and processes, IDM has a recurring problem with the error message that says “This extension may be corrupted.” Naturally, you can always try to install the tool in a different web browser, but this is out of the question at times. Here are some ideas on what could go wrong and what you could do.
The technical support advice
The first line of defense in situations where browser add-ons and extensions stop working is to remove them from the browser and install them again. If reinstalling doesn’t help, try reinstalling your browser. Install IDM again after reinstalling the browser. Follow these steps.
- Uninstall your web browser from your computer.
- Delete the installation folder.
- Install a tool like CCleaner and do some custom cleaning and registry It is important to find and remove all files related to your web browser or IDM extension when using CCleaner.
- Restart your computer.
- Install your favorite web browser and IDM extension again.
Don’t worry about your browser data. As long as you have an account with them, most browsers allow you to access your exact settings, including bookmarks and history, from any computer.
Change the default maximum connection
This simple tweak can help you troubleshoot corruption issues. However, keep in mind that the settings you change here may be reverted at some point. If you see the same error again at some point (either the next boot or the next few months), apply this solution.
- Open your IDM.
- Go to options.
- In the options menu, click the connection
- Below the Max. connection number section, set the default Max. fraud. number to “1.”
- Click OK to save your settings.
Copy this solution to a document on your desktop, in case the problem arises again.
If you are using Google Chrome, follow these steps. They are simple and detailed. Type chrome: // extensions / URL in the address bar or:
- Open Google Chrome.
- Click on the 3-dot menu in the upper right corner of your browser.
- In the drop-down menu, click More Tools ->
- Look for the IDM Integration Module extension (the one displaying the error message). Click » Repair» (located under the name of the extension).
Check if IDM is working now. If not, continue to the next step.
If the extension still persistently displays the same error message, it could be that IDM has been disabled in your browser. These things can happen automatically or by user accident. Either way, here is how to solve this.
- Go to this link in Google Chrome.
- At the top of the page, just below the bookmarks bar, you will see the following message: «This item has been disabled in Chrome. Enable this item «.
- Click on the link “Enable this item”.
- Now, restart Chrome.
If IDM issues are still present, proceed to the next method.
Disable antivirus / firewall
Although IDM is said to work perfectly with your antivirus, Windows Defender or the firewall can still interfere with the extension. First of all, the vast majority of antivirus programs offer the option of excluding a particular file / folder from regular scans. Google “how to create exception in [enter antivirus name]”.
Of course, this also applies to Windows Defender. However, in Windows Defender, these are called ‘exclusions’, so here’s how to do it .
The firewall is probably a bit more annoying, so you should start by turning it off completely. Once it is off, check if IDM has started working properly. If so, re-enable the firewall and contact IDM support. When asked, tell them that your firewall is causing the problem.
Enjoy IDM or contact support
If your IDM is working properly now, you are all set, but you may want to bookmark this page, in case the corruption error appears again. If the IDM error continues to appear, please contact support and explain your situation clearly and provide as much detail as possible.
Have you fixed your IDM? Do you know another way to fix this error? Help the community by telling your story. If you have a solution of your own, feel free to post the tutorial in the comment section below.