Poison, from Latin venenum, is a substance capable of produce serious functional alterations in a living being. Poison is harmful to the Health which can even lead to death.
A poison can be said to be any liquid, gaseous or solid toxic substance capable of blocking or inhibiting a chemical reaction. Paracelsus assured that “Everything is poison, depending on the dose”. The famous doctor and alchemist made reference to the fact that any substance becomes toxic with very high doses, including water or oxygen. Poisons, therefore, are harmful substances even at very low doses.
There are poisons of vegetable origin (such as certain substances that appear in hemlock), animal (from the snakes), mineral (the arsenic) and artificial (substances synthesized by man in laboratories).
For instance: “If you travel to the jungle Amazonica, be careful with snakes: there are some that when biting inject a poison that can be lethal if you do not go to an assistance center soon “, “My grandmother died of poisoning and her last moments were really very painful”, “At school they taught me not to eat wild mushrooms as some contain poison and can be harmful”.
It is possible to find different uses symbolic or metaphorical of the concept. Poison, therefore, can also be a thing that causes moral damage or a negative feeling (such as resentment or anger): “Yesterday I argued with my boss and I was left with a lot of poison”, “You cannot live angry with life: you have to get rid of the poison before it turns against you”.
Here are eight of the most dangerous poisons ever known to man; some of them are part of the daily lives of many people without their knowing it, which shows a worrying level of misinformation that, in certain cases, can cost us life:
* Botulinum toxin: the danger of this poison appears when it is ingested, since it produces a collapse of the nervous system and causes a terribly painful death. It is worth mentioning that it is used in very common beauty treatments in the last decade, and in this field it is known as botox;
* ricin: if swallowed or inhaled, it attacks the system respiratory and internal organs, causing death;
* anthrax: by inhaling this poison, a flu-like state begins that does not end until it destroys the respiratory system and, with it, the life of its victim. It is also lethal through touch;
* sarin gas: it is a product that was created as a pesticide and, perhaps as a just consequence of trying to end the life of an innocent species, it is fatal to humans if inhaled. A small dose is enough to get a person to a coma from which he will not wake up;
* tretrodotoxin: known especially for coming from fugu (name given in Japanese to Blowfish). Who consume products of animal origin, they must remember that the poison of this species does not disappear after cooking and that it can end the life of an adult person in a few hours, after having completely paralyzed it;
* cyanide: It exists in nature under various forms, although it is also possible to manufacture it without great complications. Swallowing or inhaling it leads to cardiac arrest and, minutes later, death;
* mercury: inhaling it seriously endangers the respiratory and central nervous systems;
* strychnine: This pesticide is not that powerful, but if it is ingested or inhaled it generates a series of spasms so violent that they end up exhausting the victim, taking their life.