SOMEONE ASKED 👇
Nissan Altima, Ds Gear Shift?
HERE THE ANSWERS 👇
If the shift lever doesn’t have the + and – symbols for upshifting and down shifting then the Ds just puts the vehicle in a sport mode that changes the transmission shift points to higher rpms and tweaks the motor timing.Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
So apparently it never occurred to you to actually READ the effing OWNERS MANUAL.
The CVT can operate in two different automatic drive modes:
● D (Drive) mode – Move the shift lever to D (Drive), the transmission is in the normal forward automatic driving mode. The position indicator in the meter shows a “D”. The D (Drive) mode does not produce a gear change sensation like a traditional automatic transmission.
● Ds (Drive Sport) mode – Move the shift lever from D (Drive) to the to Ds (Drive Sport). The position indicator in the meter shows a “Ds”.
In Ds (Drive Sport) mode, transmission operation changes to Sporty” driving shift operation, creating a more aggressive acceleration feeling than the D (Drive) mode and a gear change sensation when the driver accelerates or when using the shift paddles (if so equipped). During Ds (Drive Sport) mode operation, the driver must move the shift lever from Ds mode to D mode and back again to re-select Ds (Drive Sport) mode.
● To cancel the Ds mode, return the shift lever to the D (Drive) position. The transmission returns to the automatic drive mode.
The CVT can operate in two manual drive modes:
● M (Manual) mode (if so equipped) – With the shift lever in the Ds (Drive Sport) mode, using the shift paddles (if so equipped) up (+) or down (–) produces noticeable upshifts and downshifts. The position indicator in the meter shows a “M”.
● To Ds (Drive Sport) mode return the shift lever to the D (Drive) mode.
Follow these procedures for maximum vehicle performance and driving enjoyment.
NOTE: Engine power may be automatically reduced to protect the CVT if the engine speed increases quickly when driving on slippery roads or while being tested on some dynamometers.
You can shift up or down with the lever, move it to the right after you put it on drive.
The answer lies in your owners’ manual.