In order to know the meaning of the term stylus, the first thing we have to do is determine its etymological origin. In this regard, we would have to analyze the two words that make it up:
• Pencil comes from Latin, more exactly from “lapis”, which can be translated as “stone”.
• Optical, for its part, emanates from Greek. Specifically, we can determine that it is the result of the derivation of “opsis”, which is equivalent to “sight”.
The writing or drawing instrument that has a graphite bar enclosed in a cylinder is called pencil. A personBy holding the pencil in your hand, you can move its graphite tip over a piece of paper and mark the necessary strokes for writing or drawing.
The optics, meanwhile, is a branch of the physical that is dedicated to analyzing the behavior, characteristics and manifestations of the light, focusing on its laws and phenomena. Belonging to or relating to vision it is also part of what is understood by optics.
These concepts allow us to approach the notion of optical pencil, a photosensitive device that allows you to interact with a monitor or television. It’s about a input peripheral created in 1952 for him MIT that, connected to a computer (computer), you can replace in some functions mouse (mouse) since it allows you to select commands in a computer program, enter information, etc.
In addition to all the above, we would have to point out these other identity related to the aforementioned optical pencil:
• Can be used on CRT type displays.
• In order to use it, it must be connected to the relevant computer by means of its corresponding cable. A circumstance that becomes one of its disadvantages because it is not exactly comfortable to use for it.
• That peripheral must be emphasized that, to a certain extent, it was based on what were the optical guns that had been used in different types of consoles and video games.
In addition to this, it should be noted that there are three fundamental types of optical pencils within the technology sector:
• Stylus, which works thanks to the set of sensors and pressure system that it incorporates.
• Pen for active digitizing tablet. It is a peripheral that needs an electrical charge to operate, so it is directly connected to the tablet, which is the one that gives it power, or it is opted to provide it with batteries.
• Pen for passive digitizing tablet, which is identified by operating through an electromagnetic induction system.
The stylus has light sensors that allow you to record the light emitted by a monitor. In this way, when the pen comes into contact with certain sectors of the screen, it sends a signal to the computer, which can detect its position and interpret this information.
Stylus pens require a certain level of light intensity on the screen, otherwise their sensors will not pick up the brightness. In that case, the stylus does not activate and cannot interact with the device.