PatagoniaPatagonia is the name given to a zone located in the South of America shared by chili and Argentina. The western part belongs to chili, while the eastern region is part of the Argentine territory.

Although the limits of the Patagonia are often under discussion, in general almost 76% of the region is attributed to Argentina, leaving the remaining 24% for chili. The Chilean patagonia and the Argentine Patagonia they are separated by the Andes Mountains.

The word Patagonia comes from patagones, which is the name that the Europeans gave to the aboriginal people they found in these lands. This ethnicity it is also known as tehuelche.

Due to its geographical location, relatively close to the South Pole, the Patagonia presents a climate very cold. Snowfall is usually abundant in winter, and even lakes and other waterways can freeze.

At present, the Patagonia It’s one of the Touristic centres most important of America. The beauty of its landscapes (with mountains, valleys, lakes and rivers), European-style architecture, gastronomy and the possibility of practicing various sports (such as skiing, fishing and mountaineering) are some of the reasons that lead thousands of tourists to visit the region each year.

San Carlos de Bariloche is the town most important of the Argentine Patagonia. its Civic Center, the Cathedral Hill and the Nahuel Huapi Lake are among its main attractions. On chili, the city of Punta Arenas, with more than 130,000 inhabitants.

PatagoniaThe beauty of Patagonia is typical of a fairy tale, although it could well be said that fiction is often inspired by landscapes as incredible as these, and that most people cannot appreciate up close or do not know they exist. Let’s see below some of the treasures what Patagonia has to offer:

* the myrtle forest: as if it came out of a fantastic story, this forest is populated by myrtles, a type of tree that only grows in Chile and Argentina and that, from its appearance, seems that it could begin to speak at any moment, as a character would of a story. The island on which this peculiar landscape is found is in Lake Nahuel Huapi;

* the Upsala glacier: it is an ice mass that measures 53 kilometers long and 13 wide. Its front part is made up of thousands of peaks of ice whose height reaches 40 meters. It is the third ice wall in South America and belongs to Los Glaciares National Park, in Argentina;

* Lake Pehoé: lovers of Tolkien’s literature claim that the lake Pehoé recalls the landscapes of Middle-earth, the fictional continent where most of his works take place. It is found in Chilean territory, near the Cuernos del Paine and with very changing climatic conditions, something that frequently renews its appearance;

* the marble cathedral: In the Chilean region of Aysén, on the shores of Lake General Carrera, there is an imposing rock formation that was shaped by erosion, which has been called a natural cathedral, given its appearance and the sense of peace that is experienced when entering its structure. The reflections of the Water on its internal walls they are really impressive;

* the Gray glacier: as if it had been painted, the glacier Gray presents a wonderful combination of colors and shades that leaves your visitors speechless. No matter the time of day or the distance from which you want to appreciate it, it is one of the treasures of Chilean Patagonia that should not be overlooked.