Art, from Latin ars, is a concept that makes mention of human creations that reflect the sensitive vision of the real or imaginary world. The literature, the painting and the theater are some of the disciplines of art, which in prehistory had a ritual function and which, over time, mutated towards aesthetics and leisure.
From Latin modernus (“recent”), modern is that belonging to or relative to a epoch recent or to weather who is talking about. Typically, modern is viewed as opposed to classical.
The notion of modern Art, therefore, refers to the artistic production created since the end of the 19th century. As with the idea of contemporary art, the expression can be linked to different historical times.
There are many figures that we could highlight as representatives of modern art. However, among the most significant are the following:
• Pablo Picasso, the painter from Malaga stood out for being one of the fathers of Cubism and has bequeathed such important works as “The young ladies of Avignon”, “El Guernica” or “The dream”.
• Salvador Dali. This Catalan stood out both in the field of painting and sculpture and even in Literature. Among his most famous works, the painting entitled “The persistence of memory” should be highlighted.
• Claude Monet. As the creator of the movement called Impressionism, this French painter is known who made works of great importance and recognition such as “The Saint-Lazare station”, “The water lilies” or “The Parliament of London at sunset”.
• Marcel Duchamp. This French artist, for his part, has gone down in history as the great inspiration of the pop movement. Without a doubt, his best known work is the one entitled “The source.”
• Paul Cezanne. Within post-impressionism we can say that this French painter is framed, from which paintings such as “The card players”, “The big bathers” or “Still life with apples and oranges” stand out.
For some experts, modern art is what opposed to academic or traditional art. Modern art, in this sense, is related to the Vanguard Yet the experimentation. Other specialists associate modern art with the Contemporary age, so I would have started mid 18th century.
At a general level, it can be said that modern art is a way of considering the aesthetics and function of art, where the main value is not the literal and exact representation of the nature. Following the development of photography, which accurately reflects reality, modern artists proposed new points of view on nature.
Given the value of modern art, many are the museums and exhibition centers around the world that specialize in it. Specifically, among the most significant spaces of this type are the following: the MOMA in New York, the Tate Modern in London or the Museum of Modern Art (MAM) in Madrid.
The historical stage that follows modern art is the postmodern art, which for many arose in the decade of 1970 in rejection of the idea of modernity.