Food it is what living beings eat and drink for their subsistence. The term comes from Latin alimentum and allows to name each of the solid or liquid substances that nourish the human beings, plants or animals.
Classification according to composition and function
In addition to all this, it is important to know that foods can be classified into several types. However, if we take into account what the composition of those is, we would find two large groups:
• Organic ones, which are those that provide us with vitamins, fats, carbohydrates and proteins.
• Inorganic ones, which give us trace elements, water and minerals. That is, they provide us with energy.
However, in the same way, we can classify foods based on their role in nutrition. In this way, we would come across three different types:
• Formative foods, which are rich in calcium and protein.
• Energy foods, which differ because they are very valuable in terms of fats and carbohydrates.
• Regulatory foods, which are identified because they have significant levels of minerals, vitamins and trace elements.
Types of food
However, the most common and used classification of foods is the one that groups them into:
• Cereals, potatoes and legumes.
• Milk and derivatives, which provide a significant number of nutrients.
• Meat. This, along with the two previous groups, is responsible for providing the human body with the necessary proteins.
• Fats and oils, where, for example, nuts are found.
• Fruits and vegetables, which are identified by their great wealth in terms of minerals and vitamins.
This classification is the one used when making a healthy and balanced diet that provides the needs of each organism. Thus, for example, for children to grow, it is advised that their diet includes meat, fish, eggs and legumes.
It is important to note that most of the food comes from animals (cow meat, Pork Meat, fish, etc.) and vegetables (fruits, vegetables). There are, however, foods from other sources, such as certain mushrooms (mushrooms, gyrgolas).
Food and health
Food allows regulation and maintenance of metabolic functions. Without food, living things cannot enjoy good Health and they even have a chance of dying. Food, on the other hand, works on a psychological level to provide satisfaction. In these cases, the food does not fulfill so much a nutritional function, but rather provides pleasure (as in the case of a hamburger or a chocolate).
The nutrients They are the substances in food that are essential for the maintenance of living organisms thanks to their biochemical action. These nutrients provide Energy and they allow to metabolize other substances that are vital. Vitamins, proteins, and carbohydrates are examples of organic nutrients, while water and minerals are inorganic nutrients.
Cultural and symbolic considerations about food
It is known as taboo food to those that are not considered acceptable for consumption, either for cultural or religious reasons. Beef is taboo by the Hindus, while pork is a taboo food for the Jews.
Food, it is a symbolic sense, it can be anything that allows to maintain the existence of something: “Coal is the food of fire”, “I believe that I survive thanks to faith, which is the food that sustains me every day”.