Art It is a concept that comes from the Latin word ars and that refers to the creations of the man that express their sensitive vision about the world through the use of various sound, linguistic and plastic resources.
In the case of popular, we would have to say that it is also a word that comes, etymologically speaking, from Latin. Specifically, we could highlight that it emanates from the noun “popularis”, which is made up of two components: the word “populus”, which can be translated as “people”, and the suffix “-ar”, which is equivalent to “relative to”.
Popular, for its part, is an adjective that indicates what belongs to or relative to village. Among its various meanings, the term refers to what comes from the population and what reaches most of the people.
The notion of Popular artTherefore, it can have different meanings. There are those who consider that popular art is formed by the artistic manifestations that the people create and consume, as opposed to high culture wave academic culture.
A clay pot created by a craftsman to collect water is an example of folk art, while a painting on canvas displayed in a Museum it would belong to elitist art. These limits, however, are fuzzy.
Popular art, on the other hand, can be given by the artistic creations that are massively consumed and that they are usually capable of reproduction on an industrial scale. In this sense, a Latin music singer who sells millions of records can be considered a popular artist.
In addition to all the above, it is necessary that we have very clear other of the main characteristics of this so-called popular art:
• Has its origin in the Renaissance. And it was then that the artist, who until now had made works for a very specific and minority audience such as the upper classes or the kings, decides to undertake works so that they can be enjoyed and acquired by all those who wish to do so.
• However, experts agree that it would be in the 18th century, when the Industrial Revolution took place, when the existence of this popular art became more evident. At that moment there will be an art of general use and another more particular.
• Popular art, making use of a historical expression that has become a classic, is an art “of the people and for the people”.
• When talking about this type of art, it cannot be said that it corresponds to a specific historical period since it does not have eras.
• As a general rule, when talking about him, no reference is made to particular people.
• The appearance and development of new technologies have made popular art grow more and more.
The pop art or pop ArtFinally, it is an artistic movement that emerged in the twentieth century from the use of images of popular culture present in the media. Pop artists like Andy Warhol they took advertisements or comic books to create works of art.